What goes with Carolina-style pulled pork? Cole slaw, of course. So I turned to my internet strategy of googling for a recipe and picking the first result that comes from a food blog, rather than a recipe aggregator or Food Network (nothing against Food Network, but I like a personal touch to the recipes that I steal adapt.) So, this is derived from Not Your Mama’s Cole Slaw from Smitten Kitchen.
There were a few changes: I didn’t have celery seed. Meg doesn’t like mustard, so I wanted to go a little lighter on mustard. Meg likes ranch, I thought, what the hell, let’s toss some ranch dressing mix in.
- 1/2 small head green cabbage
- 1/2 small head red cabbage
- 4 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled and shredded
- ~2 cups (16 ounces) mayonnaise — more or less to desired creaminess
- ~1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- ~3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- (optional) 1/2 package ranch dressing mix
I cored the cabbages and cut them into thin strips with a chef’s knife, and tossed some of the bigger pieces that didn’t dice well. The carrots were shredded with a box grater. Then it all got tossed together in a big bowl.
I really don’t remember how much mayo and mustard went in — that’s never going to be exact with a recipe like this. My advice is to start on the low side, and add more to taste/texture.